November 6, 2010
HOW CAN THANKSGIVING BE 3 WEEKS AWAY?????
It’s raining in Hilo as I write this blog entry. I’m told to buy several umbrellas, not the wimpy small ones, but big honking tent-type umbrellas, for the ‘rainy season’. OK….I can do that. Actually the rain cools things off, comes in intermittent spurts with some just pouring down, while others you can’t tell it’s even raining until you step out into it. I got to the grocery store today under very overcast skies, and just got the many bags into the house when the bottom dropped out. Great timing…..Go Me! I can gage the intensity in part by whether I can still see the Hilo Bay and large hotel complex from my living room. If they are all gray and indistinguishable, it’s a gully washer on the way fur shur!!
So, despite the onset of rainy season, I’m sitting here wondering where time has gone!! I got here on August 7, started work on my birthday the 16th, and have already done mid-semester clinical evaluations for my group at the nursing home, Hale Anuenue. Great place, by the way. So, Thanksgiving is less than 3 weeks away. My brother and sister-in-law, Kirke’s younger brother, are coming for the holiday. HOORAY!! It will be a fun visit and a chance to show off my new home town that I have grown to love.
But seriously, what have I accomplished in this short fast time?? Let’s see…..humm.
Well, #1. I have made a really good friend who has been ready and enthusiastic since I landed at the Hilo International Airport. Bev is one of those truly great friend who will go anywhere, do anything, and help a friend get acclimated to the new world order here. She recently held an Open House to officially house-warm her Vacation Rental apartment that I stayed in when I arrived. During the party, her cousin….did I mention she is a cousin to 98% of Hilo and Hilo area folks?....did an Hawaiian chant, then a blessing in Hawaiian, and then sang the Queen’s Benediction before we ate. Then later she sang native songs with two neighbors accompanying her on ukuleles. THEN…. Bev danced a hula for all the 50+ guests. It was beautiful, and she was so graceful and looked terrific in her slim flowered Mumu. The Hula is a long standing tradition and has survived many changes in the islands over centuries. Watching Bev, and her cousin who danced too, it’s easy to see how much a unique part of this lovely land this story telling dance is.
#2. Home has become my own, not just a feeling of short term vacation rental or hotel suite. The house has come together really well. Remember all that country themed décor I worked so hard to put into the Saber Trail house last spring? Well, no county style here, but no sea shell theme either….Kathleen would harm me if I did that as a theme. But I am making it an Hawaiian theme. Found an ad for Macy’s sale (they have incredible sales!!) on Hawaiian print bedspreads and comforters. The master bed room now has a red & white floral print comforter with red dust ruffle, and red/white/black accent pillows. I love it!! The guest room will have a Black & White Hawaiian theme to it. The spread has a repetitive black geometric-type symbol on a white background. My plan is to order some B&W reprints of old Hawaii scenes from a photographer here in Hilo. They will be the wall decoration to go with the bedspread. I also found accent pillows for that room, and one has a bit of red in it. The kitchen is a red theme too in accessories, and I enjoy the splash of color when I cook. So the house is feeling like a home.
#3. My many years of teaching experience has paid off well, and I am really enjoying the faculty I work with, and the students in the class. It was never my intent to bring ACC’s Nursing Curriculum to HawCC’s program. As a result, I’ve had a really eye-opening experience watching and learning from people who do things differently. What a novel idea!! Do things some other way than ACC…..is this heresy? NO….it’s a relaxed, student friendly, reduced stress, learn without faculty ‘saying’ everything-type of doing nursing education. Lots less lecturing, and even that is supposed to be interactive. The ‘class’ is divided geographically with 22 in Hilo, and 9 in Kona. Lectures are done over HITS which is Hawaii Interactive TV System, I think. Anyway, it’s a new challenge, but one I’m getting used to and enjoying. Labs are very interactive, with Kona doing theirs over there, and our students working with us here. Same exams are given to both groups, so lots of coordination, emails, attachments, and video conferencing goes on to keep everyone on the same page. As I said, my colleagues on the faculty have been gracious and generous with time, information, and friendship. Even the administrative assistant to the Program Chair spent about 30 minutes with me early in the semester driving me around the combined campuses of University of Hawaii and Hawaii C.C. She pointed out buildings, gave me history tidbits, overview of how and where the overlap of facilities occurs, and waited patiently while I picked up my keys…..actually someone from the key dept brought them out to the car so they could chat a minute with Luann. Talk about SERVICE! My office is the back corner of a converted classroom, and Joyce has the front quarter. She has been instrumental in getting me set up with a doctor here who I like very much. She also doesn’t just tell me where something is, like the master key box, but gets up and walks me to the area where it is. I could have found it, but she also gave me some unwritten policies about use, and where to find the key to the key box on weekends if I need it. My keys get me into the main nsg office as well as my office and some other zones. Sharon is level coordinator and she has been a true gift from God. She teaches so well, and I have learned so much from watching her. So, you say, old dogs can learn new tricks, and I say, yes! Laura is the third of our little band of merry educators here on the east side of the island. She is simultaneously working on her Ph.D from UH-Manoa (Honolulu) in an online format. She too has gone out of her way to tutor me through online resources for students, library access via web, school email via web, and many other things. We’ve done lunch and dinner some over the months, and laughed and learned about families, etc. Another growing friendship.
#4. Students!! What a delight. They have adopted me and love my Texas background. But, I’m no longer in Texas so they are trying to teach me a new Hawaiian word (or two) each time we are in class or lab or clinical. That’s a real hoot!! And, of course, introducing me to new foods is another dedicated task for them. My clinical group came to the house on the last day at the nursing home, and brought lunch. Justin wanted me to ‘just try’ some thing! in a dish from the deli. So I picked up a smooth piece of whatever….a SMALL smooth piece, and then made the mistake of turning it over. SUCTION CUPS!! No, NO , and NNOOOOO!! OK, I’ll try just this small piece….sorry, Justin….octopus will never be a food I rush to get at the pu-pu table (appetizers). But the Chicken dish was delicious. Another student has come by and helped me unload some heavy boxes and even set up a small cubical-like organizer for papers, etc. She is becoming one of the student’s that I know I will continue to stay in touch with after graduation.
#5. Added a new member to the Jeffery family. Yep, I got a puppy! He’s a darling small mix of Shitzu & Silky Terrier. Brown, black eyes, 8 lbs, and a year old. One of those great faculty members I mentioned above has connections at the Wiamea animal shelter, and they got him as a rescue dog. I don’t know all the history, but it’s obvious he was left alone a lot of the time. He wants lots of cuddling, and tummy rubs. But he also has not been socialized to strangers, so he growls and barks to show who’s boss when new people are trying to meet him. If they persevere and maybe even bring him a treat or at least let him smell them first, then he settles right down. I named him K’noole. One of the first streets I saw here was spelled Knoole, so the good old phonetic education I received in elementary school kicked in immediately, and I pronounced it Kah-noo-lee. Nope….not right! It’s really sounded out as Keno-o-lay. But I still say Kahnoolie in my head as I travel along it heading to work. Thus, puppy has been tagged as K’noole, or Noolie for short. My sister came up with the short version. I like it. He is responding to this new name finally, and not the old name he had….Yoda. It was because he has ears that make him resemble Yoda. Anyway, he is a great guard dog…too great. Since he can watch the entire front of the house and the length of the street from the floor to ceiling windows in our living room, he makes sure that cats, mailmen, neighbors, other dogs, and imaginary threats all know who’s house this is, and that they better steer clear. Or else!!! At 8 lbs I’m not sure what ‘else’ would be, but just the intimidation factor alone should count for something.
Well, enough for this posting. Hope your Fall is going as well as mine, and if I don’t get another post up before the 25th, Happy Thanksgiving!!
Aloha,
Janene
No comments:
Post a Comment