Thursday, September 16, 2010

Update from Professor Jeffery

Aloha Y’all,
I’m sure you have all thought that I fell into the ocean one day when I was trying to find my way to a new spot in town, but, no….no such fun! Have, however, fallen into a great group of people who are working hard to prepare for a (dare I say: dreaded) accreditation survey in February by the infamous National League of Nursing. This is THE ORGANIZATION that can make or break a school’s reputation for quality and current relevance in curriculum and nursing education delivery. I’ve been welcomed into work sessions as documents, objectives, and student learning outcomes are reviewed and modified. They are open to my input, and welcome the insights I can bring from ACC, especially since we did our survey with NLN in fall of 2008. My love of editing and word-smithing is paying off. The entire group, all 10 of them, have made me feel very welcome and they have gone to lengths to help me integrate into the system and the team. I love it here.

Students are no different than elsewhere. Some are really sharp, some are experienced, some are both, and some are not either! But all are dedicated, working hard, and enthusiastic. The program format here is much….I stress MUCH less stressful on the students and the faculty. Presentation of information is not so cram packed with details. There is not a belief that if the faculty doesn’t say it, they won’t ever learn it. They have a great video program called ATI (?? What it stands for, I don’t know nor do I care.) and it has the content and videos of skills done very well and in detail. They must watch it before class, then emphasis on key points is made by faculty, and then practice is done. WOW, what a novel idea!! It’s working and working well. The students only have 2 hours of ‘lecture’ each week in the Fundamentals class, and then a 1 hour ‘seminar’ after that to do things that use the lecture topic in some interactive learning style. Then lab or clinical is on TU and Wed from 7am – to 1:30pm with an hour for lunch. Then, Fundamentals is over for the week……yep! That’s it. They have two concurrent courses, one on mental health concepts (communication, end of life, etc.) that is Thurs AM, and then an online course that’s about Ethical – Legal issues in nursing and health care. Now here is the kicker….they have lots of open lab time, esp. on Tues and Wednesdays after lab / clinical, and the school has provided for 25 laptop computers to be available to check out for use in the lab. There is Wi-Fi and a printer available so they can watch the ATI software, and print out assignments. All that is asked is that they bring the paper!! So, I’ve landed in a welcoming, warm, and enjoyable program. The students think I’m hysterical….they seem to like my cartoons in lecture, and I’ve initiated telling a joke or two before they take an exam as well as posting some Laughter is the Best Medicine jokes / stories on their announcement page of the Blackboard equivalent they use here. Feedback is positive. So, I think I’ll stay a while.

It’s been raining more frequently, but I’m told it’s still nothing like the ‘real rainy season’…..ok! I’ll be patient about that. From that incredible view of the bay that I get from my living room, I can watch the rain clouds build, and then move in. But, I also can see the cruise ships coming and going and the private sailboats as they move around past the breakwater. Oh, and I can hear the Hilo High School band practice on Thursdays too, and hear the noise of the game on Friday if played here. A Hawaiian difference tho, is that the entire stadium chants during the game. Not just some folks, but everyone in the stands. It’s a tremendous experience to hear up on my hill. I may go to a game one night just to see it all up close and in person.

Needless to say I am becoming more and more a member of the Hilo community. On the 30th of the month, the community leaders and business community are sponsoring a dinner and get acquainted evening for all new faculty at Univ. of Hawaii and the Hawaii Community College (HawCC). I’ve not ever seen Austin do this, or for that matter any other place I have taught. I’ve very excited about going and have a quite striking vivid purple and green and beige Aloha Shirt to wear that evening. Who knows who I might meet!! But they are also going to serve lots of local dishes…..that means fish, rice, and other interesting edible things not usually found in Texas. I had an early introduction to some when the 2nd year students did lunch for the 1st year class…..lots of homemade Asian and Hawaiian dishes mixed with Fried Chicken, macaroni salads, and even a traditional dish here that is Mac and Cheese with Rice. Yep, interesting, but tasty!! Seems that is a staple at all potluck dinners. So, the 30th is looking like a fun evening and a chance to really meet some new folks.

Well, enough for now. Miss all of you, but please know that I would love to show off my new home and new city to any of you who can visit.
Aloha,
Janene

3 comments:

  1. I'M VERY HAPPY TO HEAR THAT HAWAIIANS ARE TREATING YOU GOOD. YOU DESERVE THE BEST. WE MISS U SO MUCH HERE IN TEXAS BUT I KNOW U ARE DOING WHAT U LOVE AND AS LONG AS UR HAPPY, WE ARE HAPPY, MAY GOD BLESS U ALWAYS JANENE, TAKE CARE.
    P.S. I LOVE UR BLOG, IT IS EXCITING TO READ YOUR ADVENTURES AND HOW U'RE ADJUSTING SO WELL TO UR NEW HOME.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE to read your blog! It might be the closest i ever get to Hawaii and it sounds all so fascinating. Continue to enjoy and know that i miss you here in Austin!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaaaahhhh!! The refreshing sound of contentment oozes forth from the tomes of you, my dear! It warms my heart to hear (read, actually) the "old" JJ with spark and excitement back! I am so happy for you, and that you have found a new home! Stay in touch!

    Love you!
    JH

    ReplyDelete