I have been reading anything I can about Hawaii….except James Mitchner’s massive novel, which I read as a child…..in preparation for moving there in August. That includes pronunciation guides, travel books, maps, online references to the area where I am going, Chicken Soup from the Soul of Hawaii, history narratives, and other miscellaneous references about the culture, beauty, historic past, traditions, and the people who make up the 50th state of the union.
While this single entry is clearly not the place to try to condense ALL of the new information I have accrued, I do want to share parts of my growing base of knowledge along with some personal observations and narratives. Therefore, this blog has begun out of my desire to share this True Adventure that I am embarking upon, and to give me a place to record musings and memories of this time in my life. I hope you will enjoy reading it and, maybe, gain some new insights about the state of Hawaii, the people and the culture of the Hawaiians living there.
Aloha
One Hawaiian word that I already knew was “Aloha”. My bet is that you know that word too. Great starting place. Aloha! Hello or Goodbye. Right? Well, yes and no. Actually it is a multi-meaning word, and encompasses a broad variety of concepts and messages. One source advised me that the word Aloha constituted what defined Hawaii, the very essence of Hawaii. It said that it could be “…created anywhere”. Now that was a new idea for me to get my head around….how can a word of greeting be ‘created’? “ Much less “…created anywhere” ? That sounds almost spiritual, doesn’t it? Let me share some information about this broadly encompassing, multi-meaning Hawaiian word, and see if you agree about it being something that can create itself anywhere it finds people receptive to that “spirit”.
In Hawaii people, both friends and strangers, are greeted with the word Aloha which also means ‘with love’. This aloha spirit is clearly evident within this welcome, and the use of it as a greeting conveys a universal spirit of hospitality and welcome. It is part of what makes Hawaii known worldwide as a center of acceptance and fellowship. Ancient beliefs and traditions have formed a firm foundation for this image of the Islands and its people. They hold these traditions dear, remember their history, celebrate their progress, and strive to keep this aloha spirit or aloha love within their daily lives.
The ‘aloha spirit’ further means an open sharing and giving, of materials or self. It is the driving force that bonds the people together when they see opportunities to make life better or more beautiful for someone else. Hospitality, goodwill, and brotherhood are extensions of that spirit. They too are facets of the openness to others and ready inclusion of strangers into the fabric of Hawaiian life. Families, as expected, take care of family; outreach to others can come from unexpected sources or in unexpected ways. For many of the soldiers stationed near Honolulu during WWII, they found this aloha love and psychological sustenance along with belly-filling home cooking at a place called Honey’s Place. Honey was a woman wise in the way of raising children with seven of her own, one of whom was entertainer Don Ho. Thus the men who were really boys away from home found in her the Aloha Spirit of kindness, acceptance, support, and lovingly embraced acts of caring. Many of these young soldiers remained in touch with her for years after the war.
Another reading told me that aloha can be created in an instant. It is the spontaneity that offers generosity and kindness to another without reservation. Many illustrations of this abound in stories about the Islands and the people. For me personally, it has been demonstrated in the growing friendship I am forming with a woman I have yet to meet or talk to. We were introduced through the modern marvel of E-mail by a mutual nursing educator in Austin TX, my home town. With her first message Bev set the tone for the remaining 2 months that preceded my arrival in Hilo. It has included an immediate offer to stay in one of her vacation rentals at a discount price….and that’s without even asking if I was weird since “Keep Austin Weird” is a national movement! Additionally, she volunteered to meet me at the Hilo Airport when I arrive so I won’t have to find the house on my own. We have agreed to dinner between the airplane landing and my sleep deprived crash landing at this lovely house she has for me. Over time, Bev has helped put me in touch with a realtor, sent links about the pidgin English spoken on the island, info about banks, and initially getting me oriented to both Hilo and the general area. Lastly, an offer far beyond the usual or the necessary….she said I could ship boxes of my ‘essentials’ to her house for storage before I arrive. Have I been blessed by the Aloha Spirit…..let’s hear a resounding “Yesss!!!”.
Well, I didn’t intend to go on so long, and yet I feel there is much more to share with you. I’ll save some other thoughts and quotes about the aloha spirit for another blog entry.
Aloha,
Janene
A big AHOHA to you as you embark on your exciting journey in life! - - - you will find that people draw out the word Aloha - - like "A-LO-----HA"
ReplyDelete